Thursday, July 4, 2013

Vanilla Cupcakes - 4th of July Edition

Happy Birthday, America!

 
 I'm sure you're all looking forward to seeing your friends and family, eating and drinking, having the day OFF! Whoo-hoo! In honor of this celebratory day, I wanted to make some cupcakes. I know, big surprise :)



At first I wanted to get all types of crazy with it, but in the end sometimes simpler is better. So I went with a Vanilla Cupcake. This recipe is moist, flavorful, and satisfying to your taste buds. I have been and still am on the hunt for the "perfect" recipe. This one I really liked, but I'm really kicking myself in the pants because I happened to find the one my heart decided on and unfortunately wanted to see if the grass was greener on the other side...turns out it's not....and now I'm retracing my steps trying to find my lost love. This particular recipe I used today was from Glorious Treats. I have never used her recipes before but when I saw her finished product I couldn't resist. I found that mine didn't rise quite like hers did, but never the less, they were AMAZING!  I will give you the recipe below.



Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes
 (makes 12)
1 1/4 cup cake flour
1 /14 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350F.
In a medium bowl, add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together with whisk, and set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs and beat 10-20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed about 30 seconds. Add vanilla and oil, beat.
Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk.  Beat until just combined. Scrap down the side of the bowl.
The batter will be thin. Pour batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill liners about 2/3 full.
 Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool in pan 1-2 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan (carefully) and finish cooling on a wire rack.
Frost as desired when fully cool.
 
 
 
For the frosting I used my favorite Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting. I use these on my Red Velvet Cupcakes, which by the way, are the best Red Velvet Cupcake EVER. And I'd be willing to place a bet on that ladies and gentlemen! :) The key is to make sure you take the cream cheese out of the fridge right before it's time to make your frosting. If you don't and you leave it out to soften, your frosting will be runny and yucky. Leaving it cold when you mix it with the softened butter keeps it stiff and pretty looking :) Trust me, I've made this mistake many times before and I would hate for you to feel that panic and disappointment that I've felt from doing this before. I will post the recipe below.
 
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
 
2 blocks full fat cream cheese (unsoftened)
1 stick unsalted butter
1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners sugar (sifted)
 
In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the cheese and butter until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and mix. One cup at a time, add the sugar until well combined. Before adding your fourth cup, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Scoop into a piping bag fitted with your favorite tip and frost as desired. I used a 1M. It's one of my favorites :)
 
I hope you like these recipes. Please if you have any you'd like to share or think I should try, let me know below in the comments portion of my blog! Enjoy a happy and safe holiday and I'll see you next time! Have A Sweet Day!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I'm waiting for some chocolate ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    Your mum recommended I come on by and check out your new blog. Glad I did... although it may be bad for my waistline (lol). I'm a bit partial to cupcakes!
    Looking forward to following your culinary journey.
    Hugs from Australia,
    Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Fluff Cupcake! If you make any of the recipe,please leave a comment and let me know how they turned out!
Stephanie